Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Return to Innocence Lost

Today I was awakened by the princess...poking me in the nose and asking me if I was awake.  Of course, I heard her coming, but I love how she tries to get her point across.  You see today is Park Day for the home school community of which she is a part.  Excited she was to go.  Why am I channeling Yoda? 

It's rained the past 3 Wednesdays here.   Today we parted the clouds almost by will.  Today we were getting the park in.

After lumbering out of bed, getting my coffee (Dios, I love coffee) and getting ready, we were out to explore this new park.

Shortly after arriving, we realized that none of the young ladies had arrived.  It didn't look like they were coming.  The young men, however, were already out in the park playing frisbee football.  It wasn't long before my little tom boy decided she wanted to get onto the field.  It's always a different experience with those who care enough to do things differently in search of better.  Moms and Dads at the park, fresh fruits and berries for snacks.  Water and fresh juices.  No cookies, no chips, no sodas.  For the most part, these are parents who want better for their children...and will warmly invite anyone into the fold who desires the same.  Granted we all have the same work ethic as well.

It wasn't long before I was asked to join the game.  Next to these 12-16 year old, I'm an old man.  I'm thankful there were a few fathers out there with me so I didn't look too decrepit.  After running up and down a few times, it started to get really hot.  When I say we broke the clouds by will...I mean the overcast skies parted and the rays poured through the opening in a deluge of heat and light.  I began sweating profusely, but was really self conscious about taking off my 1/4 zip.   Why?  I realized the t shirt I was wearing underneath...wasn't the best option.  I just grabbed something to put on under the 1/4 zip.  It wasn't supposed to be sunny today...it wasn't supposed to be this hot.  I kept wondering if anyone would be offended if I took off the sweatshirt.

We played a few more games, I finally was put on a team that had these jerseys worn over top whatever you had on.  I took off my 1/4 zip and the air swept across my body like it was making love to me.  I quickly put on the jersey and that was that.

While playing and talking and listening to the conversations taking place around me, I was reminded of something that I haven't seen in a long time.  Something I realized at once is robbed from our children far too frequently these days.  I saw and heard innocence.  I felt out of place for a moment.  This was not my upbringing.  I found myself standing in the shade of the Oak Tree, watching the dogs trying to grab flying frisbees out of the air before young hands could.  I lost myself in thought, wondering if my little princess also felt out of place.  I wondered whether her sense of innocence is still alive and wide eyed.  That is the tragedy and beauty of innocence.  It seeks,  but only to grow.  But so often our growth comes at the cost of pain.  We never want our children to have to experience that.

My train of thought was broken by one of the mothers asking for the jersey back.  It was time to pack up and head for the vehicles.  I took my jersey off and handed it to her.  I almost immediately detected her eyes traverse the words and image across my chest.  


I hope I didn't offend anyone.  I suppose it's only fitting being that the Princess is THE only African in the bunch.  I don't want to be known as the ghetto dregs of the home schooled community.  Especially when I am also just rediscovering my innocence...lost.


No comments:

Post a Comment